HOME | CONTACT
TORQUE CONVERTER INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
THESE ARE GENERIC INSTRUCTIONS AND CAN BE USED WITH MOST INSTALLATIONS. SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS RELATIVE TO YOUR INSTALLATION PLEASE CONTACT US
BY TELEPHONE AT 877-833-1183, FAX US AT 630-833-0052, OR EMAIL US AT email@example.com.
STEP # 1
- After removing the torque converter from the box check that it is the correct application.
- Hold the torque converter onto the flywheel checking that the pilot fits properly into the rear of the crankshaft with no excess clearance.
- Make sure that the bolt holes or studs on the torque converter line up with the bolt pattern of the flywheel.
STEP # 2
- Check the flywheel for cracks or excessive wear on the flywheel starter teeth.
- We recommend replacing your stock flywheel with a heavy duty flywheel. They are available for most applications.
STEP # 3
- Before installing the torque converter into the transmission, pour approximately one quart of ATF into the torque converter.
- Coat the transmission seal, front pump bushing, and the pump drive hub of the torque converter with light grease.
STEP # 4
- Install converter into the transmission be careful not to damage the front seal and bushing.
- Once the torque converter is into the pump, hold the pilot of the converter with one hand to center the torque converter, and rotate the front mounting pads in a clockwise direction allowing the splines and hub slots (or flats in the case of Ford type) to engage into the pump properly.
- If done properly you will experience two distinct drops of the converter into the transmission before it is all of the way in. If you do not feel the two distinct drops remove the torque converter and repeat this step again. Using a light lithium grease (white) or equivalent and grease the torque converter pilot and crankshaft pilot so that the torque converter slides without binding.
STEP # 5
- Before proceeding with the transmission to engine installation, make sure that the engine dowel pins are free of rust, and that the dowel holes in the transmission are free of dirt and corrosion. Grease both lightly to avoid any type of bind-up.
STEP # 6
- Locate the transmission onto the engine dowel pins and install transmission mounting bolts. The transmission housing should contact the engine block squarely.
- DON’T attempt to tighten or draw the transmission against the block with the bolts. It should snug up against the back of the engine. If it does not the torque converter is probably not all of the way into the transmission and you may have to redo Step 4.
STEP # 7
- After the transmission housing bolts are tight, check to see if the converter can turn freely (Ford applications with studs should have slight movement within the flywheel mounting holes). Push the torque converter into the transmission as far as possible. Pull the torque converter forward (toward the engine) a minimum of 1/8 of an inch, maximum 3/16 of an inch. On rare occasions flat washers may need to be used to remove any additional space between the converter and flywheel. Secure the torque converter to the flywheel with either a bolt through the flywheel to the mounting pads or in the case of Ford applications nuts secured to the studs that protrude through the flywheel.
STEP # 8
- When finished with the installation of the transmission add four quarts of fluid to the transmission. Start the engine and immediately add two more quarts. Add additional fluid until the transmission is full.
Most problems with Torque Converters that require warranty are caused by improper installation. Please read the installation instructions and follow them carefully to avoid unnecessary problems due to improper installation. PLEASE REFER TO OUR TORQUE CONVERTER INSTALLLATION INSTRUCTIONS.
SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS RELATIVE TO YOUR INSTALLATION PLEASE CONTACT US BY TELEPHONE AT 877-833-1183, FAX US AT 630-833-0052, OR EMAIL US AT firstname.lastname@example.org.
TORQUE CONVERTER TECHNOLOGY
100 E. NORTH AVENUE, SUITE C
VILLA PARK, ILLINOIS 60181
PHONE: (630) 833-1133
FAX: (630) 833-0052
TOLL FREE: (877) 833-1183
Copyright © 2018
Serving Chicago, Illinois Suburbs